Revitalizing the exposed brick and timbers, original sash windows and concrete floors of this space in the storied 1915 American Can Company sets the backdrop for this location of The Plant Café Organic. At the heart of the Dogpatch neighborhood, the ACC complex was originally dedicated to manufacturing but has evolved into an epicenter for designers, artists, makers, culinary businesses and cultural spaces.
Studio BBA’s design approach focused on creating integral outdoor spaces and connections to surrounding businesses. By cutting a new opening through the rear brick wall, we introduced access to the existing courtyard patio, now framed by a beautiful custom mahogany door. An enormous ceramic planter and palm add greenery, and a new window into the adjacent bakery adds interconnectivity.
Inside, custom steel and maple shelving and tables, dimensional Heath Ceramics tiles, and truly awesome carnivorous plant-themed wallpaper enliven the space. This café adjoins The Plant Café Organic's ‘mother ship’ facility, which they affectionately refer to as “the plant of The Plant”—the central kitchen where new and seasonal creations are developed, provisions are prepped and distributed, and their catering operation is housed. The café’s adjacency to this facility lends the atmosphere a tone of inspiration and invention.